Islington Youth Cycling Support
Our Youth Programme has grown tremendously in the past few years and with the momentum we have, we know we could be doing even more to help youth in our community with their cycling pursuits. Our sport can be prohibitively expensive - with a little extra funding we can offer on-bike opportunities to children who might otherwise not have them, especially to those youth for whom cycling wouldn’t be a natural option.
For the first step in funding a more inclusive Islington Youth Cycling programme and, by extension, helping to change the appearance of our sport over time, we are looking to members for financial support.
Your contribution into the Islington Youth Cycling programme will allow us to offer assistance to riders who could use some help in levelling the playing field so they can focus on their cycling, not financial constraints. Think of it as giving them a wheel when they need it most.
All funds raised will be pooled and used across both the Finsbury Park programme (8 to 15 year olds learning cycling skills and techniques) and the Islington Youth Cycling Racing Programme (14+ year olds training six days a week under a coach with a focus on road, track, time trialling, and circuit racing).
You can choose to make your support as a one-time gift, monthly, or yearly. All support levels will entitle you to a monthly supporter email where you’ll hear first-hand about how the fund has been spent and what the riders have been up to with the opportunities you’ve helped create!
All funds raised will be pooled and used at the discretion of the coaches to assist those riders who have either made their need known or where a need has been recognised. Riders will not be singled out in the process so as to maintain their dignity and confidentiality. We never want to have a child drop out of the programme because of costs – riding a bike should be for everyone, let’s help make it that way!
The following are some examples of costs to riders that we’re hoping to defray, with your help, for those who need it most:
- £3: a new inner tube for a rider who is struggling to get a puncture repaired
- £6: Velopark admission for one rider for a team training session
- £8: track bike hire at British Cycling Talent Development sessions
- £9: a pair of gloves for a youth rider who needs them for winter cycling
- £12: entry for one rider to the British Cycling Talent Development sessions at the velodrome
- £16: a month of Zwift for winter team training to help a rider keep up with training around their school work/exam schedule
- £25: membership renewal for a youth who would otherwise have to leave the programme
- £50: the cost of a coaching term for a rider who might otherwise have to sit out a term
We look forward to having you join the Islington Youth Cycling programme team!